We recently took over an old WordPress site and needed to re-organize the content into a new, upgraded WordPress installation.
We had problem with the rather basic export tools in the old WordPress site – there was no filtering by tag or category before export, which would have made it easy to export content and slot it into the new site.
So we had to make do with the only filter available in the old export tool, by author:
- Create a special export author
- Select the posts or pages using the category filters in the old WordPress site
- Adjust number of results per page in display options to list all the items
- Select all and bulk edit to change author to export author.
- Export only posts by that author
- Import into required category/ post type in new site